Monday, June 15, 2009

Wear Life Loosely

"The Law of Detachment says that in order to acquire anything in the physical universe, you have to relinquish your attachment to it." - Deepak Chopra, The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success

"If we simply saw life as a loose garment, something we drape around ourselves but are not firmly attached to, we would find it easier to live. I feel more comfortable living this way, as if life were something I could slip out of at any moment. It seems to help me focus on the important things instead of the details that mean little." - Dr. Bernie S. Siegel, 365 Prescriptions for the Soul

My yoga instructor read this to us at the beginning of class last week and I immediately thought of its relevance to wedding planning. It is so easy to become so attached to every detail that we forget to focus on the important things. Thinking of my wedding as a loose fitting garment instead of the definition of our life or future marriage helps decrease my anxiety that it won't perfectly reflect who we are. Instead, we just need to focus on the important aspects and remember that the rest is just the garment that we dress the day, the occassion in.

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

So well said! Just what I needed to hear today. I keep wanting everything to be 'perfect' - far too much attachment! I love the image of the wedding/ life as a loose garment. Gonna work on that.